Disclaimer: I've been half asleep writing this. It's been in the 90's this week and my house's air conditioning broke and that makes it really tough to get to sleep until it's cooler outside. Usually the early hours of the morning. So if the following is not super cohesive, that is why. ::end disclaimer::
---------------------------------------------
So, I have this ability to know how to love people and love them quickly and deeply. How is this possible? It's just a gift. I rely on my keen sense of intuitiveness (not sure if that's even a word) to assess a person's core, what kind of person they are. I also apply my long-held belief that all people are fundamentally good until proven otherwise. I can idolize people at times because I can see how great they are and their potential to be something even greater. This gets me in trouble, especially if I become disenchanted with them or they've rejected me in some way. I dislike not being able to love someone. In order to counteract my frustrating feelings, I start down the road to Apathy. Hello apathy, I don't like how I use you to deaden my feelings. So the 64 million dollar question is, how to stop the apathy, in the face of rejection. You act like you don't care but really you do care and quite deeply, too. The best way is to take a step back and analyze your feelings. Why did you love this person in the first place? What are you actually feeling? Often, unidentified or undetermined feelings will mask themselves as Apathy. I'm feeling sad because this person rejected me. I'm frustrated because I can't seem to find someone (male) I can connect with and have it mutual and meaningful, etc.
You can't just cut people out of your life. I mean, you can, but it just ain't pretty. God puts people in our life for reasons TBD but we must seek for understanding when the apathy kicks in. Ask yourself, what did I learn from this person by investing time in them and getting closer to them? Could I maintain a less emotionally connected relationship with them? (And by saying "relationship", I use the term very loosely) I'm not saying look at people as a means to an end, but rather as helpers in your journey of self-discovery. Maintain a proper perspective of your who, what, where, when and whys. This gives you a better understanding of them and you. It's very important to reach this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment