Thursday, October 15, 2009

4 weeks

28. That's it. What, dear readers, is this ponderous number? It is not a miraculous weight loss plan. It is not how many days it takes to form a habit or my waistline measurement goal(siiick...lol). It is how many days are left until my brother returns from his mission and is back home. The first things that come to my mind are: whoa, weird. I will have a 21 year-old brother at home. Why is that weird? Well, because I remember when I thought 21 was so old and mature. Of course, I was 18-19 at the time and I've since wisened up...lol. Now the thought makes me feel old. I'll have a brother old enough to play for keeps now. I mean, when my sister turned 21, I did feel a little on the weird side, but this is really weird. I'll get over it eventually, but I think I will always see him as a reformed 18 year-old guy. Not as a 21-year-old.

Y'know, sometimes I wish I could just freeze time. I know that's not possible, nor is it healthy for the human race, seeing as how we need progression: spiritual, societal, innovative, etc. for life to work out. The dreamer in me though, reaches back to the former days and sifts the golden memories through my hands. The sands of time continue to run to the bottom of the glass. Each day I look in the mirror and see time take it's toll on me. I still recognize the fire and spirit of who I am in my eyes and I thank the Lord for each new day I have to live. The seasons change, opportunities come and go. In a sense, I can feel the immortality of my soul and still feel forever 22. I loved that year. It was one of my best in fact. Incredibly joyful, incredibly painful, incredibly changing in myself. I had fabulous friends that changed my life forever. I never regretted that year. I will feel forever 22 and not let time and experience jade my view.

1 comment:

Toni said...

It is a way weird thing. I remember when I thought 21 was so old and returned missionaries were so wise and mature. And you can still see him as 18, its okay, my when my brothers came home from their missions they were the EXACT same as when they left. We wanted them to be wise and mature but they still acted 18 :)