Sunday, August 10, 2014

unemployment blues

::harmonica plays traditional blues chords::

I am rethinking my whole life these days, buhht this is what happens when you stay up until 2 a.m. It has been a really rough go trying to find a new job, since the end of May. A job as a preschool teacher. One that pays well. In Utah. ::maniacally cackles:: Yeah, that's nigh unto impossible. I've got the unemployment blues.

I've applied for at least 10 preschool-childcare-daycare jobs in Salt Lake and Utah Counties in the past 2 months. Got about 5 interviews. Not a whole lot of callbacks, though. Utah has a monopoly on educators and they are easy to come by, therefore, it is highly competitive and difficult as heck to land a decent paying (over $11/hr), full time job, especially in the Preschool/Child Care arena. So much for doing what I love and strongly believe in, huh?

Here are some answers to questions you're thinking about or that you possibly might ask me:

"What kind of work are you looking for?"

I am a non-certified preschool teacher with 5 years teaching experience. You do the math. I like working with kids, preschool is something I love and do VERY well at. Naturally, I'd like to do it some more.

"Well, could you get certified?"

Since I already have my bachelor's degree, the process is actually MORE difficult than if I was in school. Because I took "the back way" for preschool teaching, there are significantly more hoops to jump through and it ultimately costs much more than I can afford at this point. They don't even offer discounts or aided funding. I need to get money before I can pay money. Pretty much up the creek. No paddles to be found.

"The education field doesn't seem to be working out for you. Are there any other kinds of jobs you're interested in?"

Yes, I am looking outside the education field, but haven't applied anywhere yet. (Let's say KSL jobs and I are getting intimately acquainted.) I know I am a talented individual. I don't mind being trained. I know how to do all kinds of things- just not amazingly well. Standard at best. How does the saying go? Jack of all trades, master of none? Yup. That's me.

Tangent: I'd never heard of the "master of none" part until about 5 years ago. There was this dude: a "young, successful, start-up business guy" who, after I proudly told him that I was a jack of all trades, presented me with this whole "master of none" bit. It really took the wind out of my sails. I was tempted to punch him in the face. Thank you very much, Mister Debbie Downer. What's the comeback I never actually said aloud? You... you successful college dropout, you! You stink of YUPPIE!
Yeah. Heh. I'm hilarious. Where were we?

Ah!

These are some of the jobs I've been looking at. Including (but not limited to): Data entry, Retail, Stocking clerk, Administrative Assistant, Commercial Baker, Sewing (there was one for a mascot costumes maker- that's new.), Vinyl Sign Maker, Collections ::shudder:: those guys are almost calling me, Food Service and Customer Service. *cough*Call Center*cough*. There's a small part of my soul that is either dying or dead at the thought of working at such a job. Yes, I'm also this picky with the men I choose to date and associate with.

"What about that Etsy shop of yours?"

Uh. It's pretty danged slow. Custom made stuff is great but the flow isn't super steady. I've hit a slight snag in needing to replace some of my supplies before I can continue on a project, and my one customer still needs to get back to me for some details. Heheh. yeahhhh.

Everybody wants experience. I've have experience! I've been working in the rat race for 8 years! I have a college degree! I'm not a high school student! These factors alone should qualify me for most jobs, right?? I'm not totally naive, I do know that such expectations are ridiculously unrealistic. I do know how to deal with the general public. I'm not Miss Ironheart. I'm unfortunately more the Miss Heart-on-the-Sleeve type. This does not translate well in the business world.

Dealing with the general public as a teacher, I've interacted with and assured satisfaction of a child's progress with over 160 sets of parents and/or legal guardians in the past 5 years. That's not a small number. I believe that you should treat people the way you wish to be treated and usually that is a good measurement for basic level serving the public. I spent a summer working at a Dairy Queen, before I started my freshman year of college. I know how to deal with the public, it just drains the introvert inside of me.

I worked in an office for 2 1/2 years in an IT department as a lowly database entry/personal assistant for my dad. Fairly cushy job until the economy tanked. Not cool. Luckily, I never had to call people. I can do that, but it will not be my favorite.

So now what? Yeah, I'm still asking myself that question. Work. It does a body good. If you can get it. Maybe I'll just send them this blog post and my resume...

No comments: