Wednesday, October 8, 2008
I love Sandwiches
So after lunch today, I decidedly admitted to myself how much I love sandwiches. Mouth. Watering. The other day I read on a blog someone's tribute to sandwiches, while humorous, it struck a chord with the Foodie in me. I am admittedly a food snob. What's that you say? Think Anton Ego from Ratatouille, "If I don't like it, I don't swallow." Okay, so it's not THAT bad. LOL. I'm not critical of others' food, but highly critical of my own. I look for ways I can improve my recipes and it is especially challenging when you don't have all the ingredients, it's like a puzzle. I'm a puzzle nut, so obviously this is an exciting challenge for me. The trick to good food is being resourceful and learning equally good substitutions in times of need. It also helps if you have a taste or sense (lol, that wasn't supposed to be a pun) for which foods complement each other. I believe that cooking amongst the younger generation is somewhat of a dying art, when you have ready to go meals from the freezer and microwaves that cook basics in 1 minute or less. (P.S. btw, let me clarify, knowing how to cook is not so much of a dying art, as sewing is becoming.) Anyway, to me cooking and the presentation is an experience in itself, a journey from start to finish. I think this opinion intensified during my brief stint as a grunt worker for BYU catering. I love making food into art. Unfortunately I can tell that my future children will care less about how my food is presented and more about if it tastes good, if it has funny lumps in it or smells/looks disgusting to them. My brother Mike has been a stellar example of this type of behavior. (shake head and roll eyes) Anyway, the point is...I heart sandwiches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment