Okay so I love conference! and so far it's only been one session! My all time favorite for Saturday morning was President Henry B. Eyring's talk about adversity. (Although Elder Hales talk about being provident providers was also excellent.)President Eyring is such a powerful speaker and definitely invites the spirit when he speaks. It meant a lot to me. I am also excited for the new apostle, Neil L. Anderson. What a great responsibility. I am so grateful for spiritual humble men that lead this church. Men who are called, not because they seek for leadership among men but, because they love the Lord. I've discovered that the older I get, the more precious the words said at General Conference become.
I also had the opportunity to watch the Church World report and for those of you who aren't familiar with it, basically tells about what the church is doing throughout the world (and within the U.S. as well) to assist and give aid to those who are in need. Even though it was a news report, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I started to get choked up about it. What an amazing sight to see so many faithful Latter-day Saints volunteer their time and resources to assist those in need. It made me reflect and think, I'm so glad I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Then these feelings of gratitude were quickly exchanged for feelings of guilt. What have I done or what can I do that will make a difference in others' lives? I don't need to be recognized world-wide for my service, but I know there is something more that I can do. I belong and believe in a religion that is bigger than me. What have I done to help others? What have I done to serve? This is an issue that I think many people (like myself) deal with. The feeling that they aren't doing enough. Those who have made sacred covenants in the temple strive to understand what their best is and struggle as they stretch and grow in the gospel. Sometimes the fruits of our labors don't have instant gratification. Perhaps we overlook the small things that we do every day that make an impact, whether we know it or not. For me, I am a good friend, but I struggle with visiting teaching(this makes it difficult for me because I see those who excel in it). I know the Lord is preparing me to be more effective, but it is a slow and difficult process. If I was good at visiting teaching, the Lord would try me elsewhere.
At conference, even though I feel like those who give the talks are amazing and have had great opportunities to serve because they are prepared, I know I have a chance to see with clear eyes where my personal standing with God is, by the spirit. I don't feel so down, but I understand that I have plenty of room for improvement.
Ohp! It's back on! More later!
No comments:
Post a Comment