Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dang, gina

I miss not going abroad this year. This time last year, I was frantically sending money to expedite an oh-so-important U.S. Passport so I could get back into my native homeland once I finished my euro experience. I look back and it all seems like a dream, a fairly expensive dream at that. It was so incredible though. Pictures cannot adequately explain the incredulity you feel when you are there standing in Paris or in Germany. Here you are standing next to internationally recognized historical landmarks that have watched civilizations go by for a couple centuries to say the very least. It tends to make one feel slightly insignificant at times. It's easy to take a stock photo of any of these landmarks and photoshop oneself in it...especially if you're a pro at that kind of thing. It's another thing to actually *be* there and have to put some WD-40 on the cogs in your brain so they won't get stuck trying to fathom a dream you've had for a million zillion years come true. It's also true that you discover things about yourself and family you never knew before, like your last name in Germany is the equivalent to the last name of Smith in the U.S. There's nothing unique about it. LOL. One thing I've come to appreciate is my own home country. There is so much we take for granted that they don't have in Europe. While I loved my time in Europe, I was grateful to be home. The U.S. is a grand place and I hope to go exploring more of it in the near future. There are so many things I haven't seen that are 'right in my backyard'. The curious wanderbug is getting to me already. :)

No comments: