Thursday, April 17, 2008

doctor consultations

So my consultation with the endocrinologist NP went all right yesterday. I was a lot more relaxed after I left, than I was right before I came. Apparently I'm an *interesting* case. LOL. It's good to have a sense of humor about these things- why not? It's my coping mechanism.

Real quick- parathyroids are 4 fingertip shaped glands that are in the center of the thyroid gland (which is butterfly shaped). If you were to draw lines from the inside corners of my eyes down to my neck that would be about where they are. Anyway, my parathyroids are compensating for *something* (unknown) and are producing excessive amounts of parathyroid hormone (PTH). The PTH levels normal range should be from 15-75. My level is at 267. Yeah. Seriously. Ms. Hansen (the NP) was outside of the door reading my papers and I heard her audibly utter, "Oh, wow, look at that PTH level." and then "How old is she? 25?" "Wow." It was kinda funny...they should make those doors a little more sound proof. LOL.

After a thorough health history and going over all the tests I've had in the past six months (and their results), we discussed the following possible explanations for my overworked parathyroids.
1. A benign tumor on my parathyroids. (easily removeable and a quick solution)

2. Poor kidney processing-enzymes and the like. (the testing for this is *fun*- to be brief and unspecific)

3. My Lamictal (my current anti-epileptic drug (AED)) is giving a false reading of low calcium levels in my body.

These are not my only options...but apparently I'm fascinating enough that they want to get to the bottom of this and are all but pulling out the big guns (okay, so maybe I exaggerate just a tad). But, I'm getting my neck scanned on Monday, (4.21.08) Radiology dept. here I come!
I'm kind of excited to find out more about my body- it's fascinating to me. I'm a weirdy and I accept that fact. I've also decided that my life cannot possibly be *boring*.

What I'm trying to do is stay positive and for the most part I've been highly successful at this. It's also a matter of having faith that the doctors and I will be discerning and find out what is causing my body to do this. It's the 'unknowns' in health issues that kill me (figuratively speaking).

No comments: