Friday, August 15, 2008

there's no Zing! for Beijing

Ah, the 2008 Olympic Games. I don't watch them. Does that make me a bad person? ;) I was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio with my uncle on our way back to work from lunch and the host was talking about cities across the nation that had high ratings in watching the olympics. His point was that cities that have higher ratings of watching the olympics are generally more globally-minded and can look outside of their little world to something bigger than themselves. His biggest 'pokes at' were the cities of Detroit, Pittsburg and Philadelphia. SLC was not mentioned, but I'm sure it was put as a "smaller" city. I did not contribute to the Utah ratings due to a couple of factors. One very big factor is the fact that I don't have television in my house, no cable, no dish, no directTV, not even basic channels. I guess that's the finer point of living in the wilderness. You have to pay money to watch tv at all. Another point is that I don't catch the internet web casts of the Olympics (assuming there are some). This would also assume that one had a great enough desire to find a live web cast and time it just right so they could watch it.
Now, don't get me wrong, I've followed news stories here and there about different events when the U.S. wins something. Not to mention if there's a stupid, stupid controversial "ooOOooh Olympic scandal" that everyone's getting their undies-in-a-bunch about. But as a whole, the "2008 Summer Olympic Games" just aren't doin' it for me, folks. (Truth be told? I actually prefer the Winter Olympics.) With this "non-watching-olympics" attitude, according to Colin Cowherd, I am a centrally-minded "meatball". LOL! I love sports talk radio shows...they strike me funny and I actually enjoy them.
How many women can say that?!? ::Long moment of silence::
That's what I thought. :D Anyway, that's my thought for the day.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I am the exact opposite of you, though I also don't have any TV, including basic channels. I LOVE the olympics, and if I could be a bum and only watch them for the two weeks that they were on, I'd do that 24/7. I've been going to either my cousin's house or brother-in-law's every night to watch them. I know I'm a little too much into it, but I love it!

John and Victoria said...

Hey I don't have any tv either, except for the 4 antenna channels! Yeah for the too-cheap-for-tv club! Anywho, I wanted to send a little shout-out to my fellow crazy, the wonderful and glorious Miss Catie Lutz. I was wondering if you ever finished your retro dress?? I am so excited to see it, and more excited to see you in it! And I'm also wondering if you;re still crazy. I hope so because I love it when you're crazy. But I love you all the same. I love your picture too, you look so cute and I am just nuts about your new hair, it suits you so well. Well that's all.
Love Victoria