Tuesday, August 19, 2008

working in a man's world

I work at an industrial diamond and drill bit cutters manufacturing plant. There are about 70 women who work here. Out of 600 employees. Yeah, for reals. Every meeting I go to is predominantly male. My department has a slightly higher ratio of 2 gals in our department. Anyway, I learned early on of the value of non-male-bashing, seeing as how I'm the minority. In the two years I've worked here, I've done slim to none and seen the benefits. However, I'm beginning to understand how the male mind works, i.e. starting to think like a guy would, to communicate more effectively. Can I tell you how hard it is to think like a guy when you're a woman? I actually prefer the mostly male grouping. It's weird. When they had professional assistants day earlier this year, I was invited and it was completely women. Other than me and my fellow IT gal, I felt like a fish out of water in a sea full of women. How does this work? In church I'm fine, but at work...I prefer male co-workers. I'm weird. I will ignore the woman jokes and the "Oh yeah my wife...." stories, because I'm one of the guys. I don't see it as abuse, I see it as the guys are comfortable enough to talk/gripe about their wives in front me, without feeling like they're going to offend me. I dunno. It's just weird. ::Catie steps off her platform, picks it up and walks out of the room::

1 comment:

John and Victoria said...

Dearest Catie Lutz
I find it highly usual and predictable that my hot-blooded roommate should enjoy working in a predominantly male environment. I would think that the views would be excellent and the exchanges ideal. That is all.