Thursday, July 2, 2009

the perfect steak and other experiments

Today I made dinner for my family while my folks were working out in the backyard. It was marinated grilled steak, corn on the cob and watermelon and it was ready in under a half an hour. I *love* summer menus. So easy. Anyway, I was worried about burning the steak because as the saying goes in my house: We believe in the law of Moses, e.g. Burnt offerings. My mom doesn't do so well when she multitasks. lol. However, when I cooked the steak today, I was glad to see that it turned out just like a good steak should. I was so pleased. Good thing I love cooking. OH! I forgot to tell you. Yesterday for lunch I pretty much made something fabulous from less than obvious ingredients. I actually took a picture of it I was so proud of how beautiful it looked. :D I made BBQ Chicken Nachos. Yeah it's that good. I got the idea from one time that I was at Goodwood BBQ. They have these on their Appetizer menu. *This is not the exact recipe.* More of a copy cat. If you're interested here's the process. As for measurements, I really just eyeballed the whole thing.

BBQ Chicken Nachos
1 can of Member's Mark Canned Chicken Chunks
(look and smell kinda like tuna, definitely tastes like chicken!!!)
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (I used Bullseye Brown Sugar)
1/2 cup water (mix with BBQ sauce...to make it more saucy)
1/4 bag Tortilla chips (white or yellow, your choice)
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 large roma tomato cut into 1/4" chunks
6-7 Fresh Basil Leaves torn in small segments
(my favorite add in for color *and* for taste!)
1 dollop of sour cream

Set oven to broil at 500 degrees Fahrenheit. While that's heating up, go to the food prep. I used a 9" non-stick cake pan(you might want to spray it if you don't have a non-stick) and dumped in about two-thirds of my amount of chips. I sprinkled a good layer of the mozzarella on that. Then I added the rest of the chips over top and finished off the cheese. Stick that pan in the oven on a regular rack level (not a high one). Keep an eye and your nose on it while you fix the other ingredients. In a medium saucepan, mix the chicken and BBQ sauce and water. You can shred the chicken or leave it chunky. It's all down to personal preference. Mix it in and heat it up until it's got a nice consistency and it's hot. Take off the heat. Dice your tomato and get your basil leaves torn up and ready to go. By this time, you should check on your nacho base. Yup, it should be done. Nice and melty and somewhat brown on the lower edges. Take it out of the oven. Dump the BBQ chicken goodness over top the melted cheese in an "artsy-like" manner. No I'm kidding :), Just dump it on and eyeball about how much you want on there. I didn't use all of the chicken, I think I had about enough left over to make two small BBQ chicken sandwiches (an added benefit of leftovers). Add tomatoes and basil leaf pieces. Top with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy. Oh and don't eat too much. It's super filling and will feed up to about 5 people. Here's my pics of happy food end results.

1 comment:

Naazju said...

Mmmm . . . that looks SO GOOD. I think I might have to try it tomorrow!