Monday, December 15, 2008

Fa-rah-rah-rah-rah, rah rah rah rah...

We have been doing some more caroling. However I think we're only about a third of the way through our ginormous list of people to carol to. On a brighter note, we caroled to my mom's parents last night. We haven't done that in a long time and it was fun to come to their *front* door, instead of the side door by the carport that we always go through, to carol. My grandpa loves music and singing and so he was caroling right along with us. He's so cute, and for being 85 his voice ain't that bad either. I could tell that my grandma sure enjoyed it. We haven't been to their house to see them in awhile so it was fun for her to see us all. In true grandma fashion she pawned about 3 different kinds of treats off on us. I almost made it through the visit without taking a treat...but when I found out the cake she had out was lemon cake, I couldn't resist it. I love lemon-flavored 'anything that's good'. So that was a lot of fun. Previous to that we caroled to about 4 houses and that was fun, BUT caroling is most definitely a two car endeavor. My car had the sweetrolls in the back AND I was privileged enough to have my 3 youngest siblings all decide to ride in my car.
Not a good idea. I was all but yelling at my brothers and my youngest sister because they kept having 'disagreements' about the dumbest things. Funny how they didn't seem that dumb when I was their age. Trying to focus on driving safely in the snow while hearing a chorus of "NOT-UH MIKE! You don't even know what you're talking about, you dummy!" "BE QUIET MA-ATT!" "SHUT UP, EM-MUH!" in the background and a brother constantly playing with the heaters because he refused to wear a coat or gloves when it was 11 degrees Fahrenheit outside did not exactly help my Christmas spirit. Let's just say I threatened to strap them to the top of the car if they didn't knock it off. See? I'm already a parent in training...LOL ;D
I'm sure this accurate representation of a typical American-Family-Christmas-Traveling-In-The-Car scene, fills your heart with gladness and nostalgia at childhood Christmas days gone by. I am SO glad that just my Dad and I got the tree this year. Gone are the days when we'd haul all 8 of us out to some Christmas tree lot in the cold night to search for the perfect tree. This would usually end with at least one person crying, one person threatened to be left somewhere if they didn't knock it off and one person with at least 89 needles stuck to them only to come loose and get all over the place in the car. Sigh....oh those happy joyous days. It just isn't Christmas without them. (If you can't sense the sarcasm...then you don't know me very well.)
So here's to Christmas and the wonderful feelings of love and peace we feel during the season or only on Dec. 24th as some cases may be. :D We got some snow on Saturday, it's starting to feel a bit more like Christmas. Go watch some holiday movies and make sure your bathroom shower pipes don't freeze like mine did last night. LOL. Enjoy family, friends and the season, even if your Christmas dinner is akin to the Callahan family's. The best part is from 4:35-5:50. Here's a shout out to my girls!!!

4 comments:

Miriam said...

You have inspired me. I think on my vacation I am going to sit and watch as many girlie/holiday/romance movies as possible. Thanks!

John and Victoria said...

I love that movie! These potatoes are so creamy...

Toni said...

What time were you at grandma and grandpas on sunday? I was there too! And had the same lemon cake!!

Naazju said...

Update again, Catie! I love your random updates. Although, if you're not updating due to the awesomeness of Rock Band/Guitar Hero, I'll forgive you. :D