Wednesday, February 4, 2009

shifting into different gears

Music is my solace. I turn to it in times of grief, pain, anger, sadness, frustration, happiness, excitement, contemplation and most importantly: paradigm shifts. What is a paradigm shift, you ask?
"A Paradigm Shift is when a significant change happens - usually from one fundamental view to a different view. In most cases, some type of major discontinuity occurs as well.
Thomas Kuhn wrote about Paradigm Shift during the early 1960s, and explained how "series of peaceful interludes punctuated by intellectually violent revolutions" caused "one conceptual world view to be replaced by another view."
In laymen terms, Paradigm Shift is a popular, or perhaps, not so popular shift or transformation of the way we Humans perceive events, people, environment, and life altogether. It can be a national or international shift, and could have dramatic effects -- whether positive or negative -- on the way we live our lives today and in the future."(see link for reference)
In a general sense (according to the last paragraph), I’ve been having a lot of those lately. It’s kinda rough when your world as you know, see and perceive it, is something so totally different than you even realize. As a BYU Alum, I’ve heard my share of people stating that BYU is The Bubble. But really, I believe it is a collection of several bubbles, everyone has their own. When you get a whole bunch of people like this together, it forms a gigantic one; hence the nickname, The Bubble. I’ve realized that living in my own bubble, these past two years in Springville, I’ve become set in my own theories, the great book of ‘How Things Should Be”. When I am a part of events or activities that don’t fit nicely into my book, I start to have issues. Yeah, that’s average, so what? The point is, I want to break my bubble so that I don’t start passing judgment too quickly on others. I still have my standards of life, but I seem to find these priorities oh-so-very-different from others. Not that I’m going to change them, but it’s just strange to see the stark contrasts. These upcoming changes are going to be harder than I thought, but I know it’s the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see what happens because of it. When I go through these questions and doubts and fears and truth-searching...I will turn to music to soothe myself into a sense of security (whether it be true or false) so that the intense range of feeling will not get the best of me. It's like what chocolate does for you when you have PMS, only a more of a low-fat option. I only hope that I can be there for my friends when they need me, not just when I wake up to reality. :) (P.s. this whole soapbox was brought to you by: the movie coming out this weekend, He's just not that into you. Very disappointed by content and reasons for rating.)

No comments: