Why is it human nature (or should I say female nature) to dwell on the pointless? I have a problem in that I have a tendency to dwell on the pointless(things of no consequence). Something someone said or did that really had no meaning behind it other than what it was. It's interesting, sometimes I wonder, why do some people seek for 'hidden meanings' when really there are none? I think it just creates extra work for themselves, time they could spend elsewhere helping people or learning something new and useful. I speak against myself in this category as this is something I'm working to overcome. As a single gal, I often overanalyze some of the personal interactions I've had throughout the week. This can be detrimental as it just sets me into a tizzy (yes, tizzy is a real word, my friends; not a Catie-ism) and I can't seem to get out of the ditch I've backhoed myself into. Often times when I struggle, I fail to see the light at the end of the tunnel because I'm trying to figure out how to deal with darkness for the rest of my life. I've discovered I lack faith in myself and lack the hope that good things will come. This is not a good thing.
I talked to my awesome missionary brother on the phone yesterday because it was Mother's Day and that's 1 out of 2 times that missionaries can call their families. Anyway, he was quoting me scriptures right and left about faith and trusting in the Lord. He also gave me an acronym with an interesting twist. He said, "W.T.F., Cate. Where's The Faith?" I laughed pretty good about that, but honestly, it's true. Where is my faith? Where did it go? Sometimes I feel like Peter the Apostle, as quoted by President James E. Faust in a talk he gave a couple of years ago before he passed away: "Lord, help thou mine unbelief." (This is an excellent talk which I highly recommend, p.s.-by-the-way.) I don't know how many times I've had to say that in my prayers.
I heard a good brother in my neighborhood, give a tribute to my dad about what a great example he was of childlike faith. That is something I wish I'd inherited, but alas I did not. I'm sure I could attain it if I worked on it, but it does not come as natural to me as it does to him. It's not as easy as it seems. Anyway, I just have to believe in and trust my mom when she says to me, "Good things are coming for you, Cate. Good things are coming."
No comments:
Post a Comment