Payson Lakes was gorgeous. I loved it thoroughly, besides the fine silty dust that was pretty much everywhere. We had quite the setup for only being there 1 night. We had our 10 person tent, which was fairly large and spacious for a tent, our camp kitchen (not too primitive, not too ritzy), some camp chairs, a smaller all purpose "kitchen counter" table, 3 coolers, 2 dutch ovens, a water cooler (orange one with a spicket), 2 six gallon water containers with spickets then my dad put up a makeshift awning for shade. Basically securing a tarp to 4 different trees with rope and tie-downs. The awning was at the perfect angle because it went right over the table and provided the necessary shade we needed. We always pack so much stuff when we go camping...but then I remember that when you have 8 people, there is a lot of stuff that needs to come along.
Our first night we set up camp and then headed down to the main lake with our swim rafts and enjoyed ourselves for a couple of hours on the water (which was downright pleasant after Lake Brrr!). Getting back to camp and changing into some dry clothes, we sat around the campfire in our camp chairs and had dinner (my mom's awesome dutch oven cooking). It was chicken, carrots, onions and potatoes in a creamy chicken sauce. Sooooo good. I swear, I had 3 helpings, which kind of sets back my "portion control goal", but when you've been out on the lake swimming...I get insanely hungry. Even the pickiest of eaters in my family were eating. Hehehe. Oh and then we had dessert which was fabulous...a peach cobbler/crumble. Ohhhh.. So goood! (I can tell it's lunchtime, because I'm getting hungry as I write this.) Then we snuggled up in some blankets in our camp chairs and were just being silly. Dad was having fun taking random pics to send to my brother in the D.C. South Mission (NE Virginia). After clean up we drug ourselves into bed and I was the last one settled. During the night, my stupid sleeping pad/mat lost 90 percent of it's air, so I got real familiar with the mr. rock-ies on the ground under the tent. Luckily, there weren't a ton in my spot, so I was okay. That's part of campin', ain't it? LOL.
The next day we had breakfast and cleaned up camp and packed everything up in our truck and in the back of my Subaru (it was Foamy G's first campout!) and headed down to the lake again. We swam for a couple of hours and then ate lunch. It was then I realized just how important putting sunscreen on my legs should have been. I burned the top sides of both my thighs and my calves and a bit of a sandal foot burn. I guess when I was on the loungy float only certain parts of my legs had gotten some excess sunscreen on them leftover from my hands. So now I look blotchy and bright red on my legs and it hurts to walk because it stretches the skin on the top of my legs where I'm burnt. My knees are even a little swollen, too. So unfortunate. And all I wanted was a little color :/. I guess those who vainly seek are justly rewarded. LOL. (Luckily, I'm using an mineral/herbal remedy given to me by my friend's mom. The redness has gone down a ton and it's not even been one whole day since. It's helped a ton and is not sticky as Aloe Vera.)Everywhere else was sunscreened so this was my only ailment. What a blessing.
Anyway, after the lake, we headed back down Payson canyon to a place called the Grotto Trail. A short little half-mile hike that goes up to this grotto. IT WAS SO COOL!! I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It's just a fun little trail that criss-crosses over the creek several times before it comes to a spectacular view of a creek that has cut through solid rock. Watershoes/ sandals helped a lot as you were able to get around easier in the Grotto. The water was refreshing. I enjoyed myself immensely. Now, to nurse my skin back to health. LOL. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment