So...I went to the John Mayer concert up in West Valley City at the USANA Amphitheater last night. "The show" was... erm, good, I guess. I missed seeing Brett Dennen (unfortunately) and about half of Colbie Caillat's show. She was a good performer and musician. With John, the music was FANTASTIC. I love his music, but I don't love what he said last night. I was highly disappointed when he chose to use the f word twice, as his expression of choice, during his show. I dunno if it was to test the waters, or if that was really his own choice word. Now, I realize that when I paid to see him perform; I was, in an essence, accepting everything that came along with the show. I knew that he wasn't the most stellar of characters; heck, I don't agree with his lifestyle at all. However, he is an excellent musician and I was eager to hear the songs I enjoyed in a live performance. My expectations of an excellent concert were quite high and very optimistic. I was sorely disappointed. My sister Sarah went with me and she was pretty low key the entire night. (This might have to do with the fact that she had 2 cavities filled earlier that day.) I found her to be slightly cynical about the outcome of the concert and not as excited as I was. Granted she had been to a concert at The Venue (on a date) before and left with a very not-so-favorable opinion of live rock concerts. So when I was dealing with disappointment, I was grateful Sarah exercised compassion on me and did not say "I-told-you-so" when she had every right to.
I'm starting to wax philosophical now and for those reading, you might be like good grief, it's John Mayer, no big deal, get over it; but this has caused me much pondering and self- reflection (something I'm really good at). I discovered where I draw the line in my life and honestly, I felt dark after I left the concert. I felt tainted. I guess, I'm seeing the effects of how I've chosen to live my life. Not watching television has made such a difference, it's crazy to see how much. While there is some good tv out there, there is also a lot of garbage and smut easily accessible. I've discovered that I don't do well with it, at all. My spirit can't handle it. I can feel the light leaving me and it scares me. Not like "oh I'm afraid of evil and I'm helpless" kind of scared. It's the "I'm afraid that light won't come back" kind of scared. I know it's possible and that I can get it back, so that is a minor concern. I just need to let go of the bad and embrace the good. The good thing that came from this concert experience is that now I know what I don't want, the next time around.
In terms of media, I know of what's out there enough to want to stay away from it. It is getting harder and harder to find good things to cling to, besides the gospel of Jesus Christ and everything that it entails. Satan rages louder and stronger than ever before. But like the fable of the wind and the sun, we will only pull our coats tighter around us as the stiff winds scream and blow around us. It is only through the gentle warmth and light of the sun (Son) or the gospel of Jesus Christ, that we will open our hearts and our minds willingly. A schmaltzy comparison yes, but the parallels are very striking. Is it naivete'? or is it a conscious choice to avoid the things that darken our minds and our spirits? For me, it's the latter.
1 comment:
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the concert as much as you wanted to. Were the songs performed live at least good? Was there a good part of the concert at all?
I love that you have such a powerful testimony! Thank you for being so willing to share. :D
Post a Comment